Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Day 1

I started off the trip by watching V for Vendetta on Cathay Pacific. Dark and creepy show but nonetheless very interesting concept. Upon arrival, checked into hotel before embarking to the place where the wishing tree featured in Hong Kong drama was. It was kinda of disappointing since throwing of the lucky charms were no longer allowed. So my dad and I made our way back to see some temples located near the mtr stations. The transport system in Hong Kong is well organised and definitely more orderly than Singapore. People queqe up behind the yellow lines and unlike here where everything is cheong.

At night I went to the avenue of stars to see the lights show and the Bruce Lee statue. Along the pathway there are handprints of actors and mine matched Andy Lau.

Day 2

Of course it has to start with Yum Cha. Good glorious food. After which the half day city tour began. We were taken to Victoria Peak where one can see the breath-taking view of what I presumed the CBD area of Hong Kong. Following up was the beach where we could see Jackie Chan's house. I also took a sampan ride which was quite meaningless but part of the package plan. The factory trips were a waste of time too since I had no plans to buy medicine or Jades.

Day 3 and 4

I spent two days in ShenZhen and trust me, don't waste your time there. The food is mediocre compared to Hong Kong and the clothes or bags are either fake or not cheap. The bubble tea is as good as just drinking evaporated milk. But talk about beer and cigarettes and one can definitely sin until Satan take your life. As usual there were visits to so called museum which ends up being another factory outlet trying to sell ya products. There is only one night market so walking the same place for two nights is quite enduring.

Day 5

Back in Hong Kong. Made my way to Stanley market and bought a Mao Zedong bag. Along the way I saw an old actor about my papa's age. I remembered him acting in those police drama or office political shows. According to my dad, he was considered the Andy Lau in the early days. Went to the museum to see the history and after that went to temple street to have claypot rice for dinner. It is a place called Hing Kee which is recommended by a 8days booklet. Basically all my meals were according to those recommended by it. Pretty much yummy especially the oyster cake.

Managed to find a street where rejected goods mainly clothes were being sold. I bought a few Nautica polo Tees while my dad bought Colombia shirts, Timberland shirts and shoes. The prices are crazy and it required a lot of self control to resist buying all the sporting goods.

Needless to say I had to eat supper from all the late night shopping and sampled a dessert shop which sells something like tau hui except that it uses milk and not soya beans. Definitely not to be missed if I go back to Hong Kong one day.

Final day

Breakfast at Mido cafe, again another recommendation. It was funny though because the
boss came down and said he didn't feel like working and so the lady boss nagged at him until he could not take it. He cocked up orders and simply just threw the drinks away when it was wrong. But from a customer point of view, it was funny to see the couple argue and everyone else were controlling their laughter. Back to the food, the French toast was magnificent but the Yuan Yang was quite bland.

Proceeded to LanTau island to see the Giant Buddha at the Polin monastry, the biggest statue of a Buddha figure in the world. The view at the peak is beyond words and one has to make their way there personally to experience it.

Did somemore last min shopping at the shopping centre where the whole complex had nike and adidas factory outlets. No choice lor, bought some adidas socks, shorts.
Hurried to eat my late lunch before checking out. Tried roasted goose meat(not bad) and sio bak. I still miss the milk tea drink though.

Summary

Very reluctant to leave Hong Kong because of the lifestyle, food and night life. In some ways, Hong Kong is quite similar to Singapore but as it is bigger, it has so much more to offer, for example they have so many streets for food and shopping, it would take a while before boredom sets in. I hope to go back there again in a few years time, hopefully by then my Cantonese will improve too, right now it is probably like ten percent fuck only. Haha. Until then hello again Singapore, damn you.

No comments: