Tuesday, January 08, 2008

So for the 2nd day of work, my department head had a chat with me in the morning. He basically briefed me on how the system is being operated. As a lao jiao, he shared his experience of dealing with complains over the years. I read a couple of old cases and I must say Singaporeans really are a problematic bunch. Some people write in to complain why their estates got no bus stop then when it is built they write in again to say cannot build directly below their house becoz affecting their fengshui. Then when shift the neighbours complain.

Another classic case is when residents complain to Traffic Police and Traffic Police say not their problem so residents complain to neighbourhood police then neighbourhood police say since even traffic police dun bother all the more why should they bother so in the end LTA take the shit. When all else fails, they write in to the MPs or ministers which according to my boss is sure win becoz in his words, "this is Singapore, u noe la ah young man, u can never win the government". I read up on a couple of cases in my Aljunied district and most of the complain letters had the backing of the MPs.

I really respect my upper study, he all the way one man show, I can read his emails becoz he gave me his password to assist him and indeed alot of arrows and complains were forwarded to him. He had overdue cases which should have been solved long time ago. Can see he is overworked but somehow he puts up a happy and positive face all the time. Today a female colleague suddenly broke down and cry during snack time. Some big shot came down to pressure her to finish up her work and apparently she couldn't take the shit. It was nice to see the department head and the rest of the colleagues gathering around to help her and give moral support. They are quite a nice bunch of people, often trying to chat and strike a conversation with me, helping me with the computer programmes. I feel so welcomed. Tmr I shall be going around places near my estate to do on-site investigation. I hope to have fun.

No comments: