Tuesday, September 20, 2005

"And now, into the blue corner, challenging for the middle heavyweight title, the one, the only, the future , weighing at 185pounds, the kid with the left hook, 17-0, 11 by knockouts, the brightest hope representing Serangoon, LLIIMMM KOPI..........."

That was me dreaming as usual. Of course, boxing ain't easy. The psychology involved in a bout can keep a person sleepless for nights. Back in secondary school, I had my fair share in Taekwondo tournaments. Apart from tough trainings, my instructor would psyche me up. "Either you kick him or he is gonna kick you". He was an asshole, losing his temper when the class were not fighting up to his standards. But occasionally he would treat me buns and fried rice under his flat in Toa Payoh. But ask anyone who has taken part in bouts before, one bout of three rounds is gruelling. Its fighting for life. If you decide to give up in other sports like running, soccer or basketball, you can just stop or sub out, of course getting bollocking from your mates, but giving up in a martial art fight is giving up your life and getting shite from the opponent.

Cinderella man gave me back that adrenaline nostalgia rush but sad to say, I have since sold my soul to soccer. Then again, maybe...just maybe..........

No comments: