Saturday, March 08, 2008

Yesterday was my first time at the Singapore Turf club to watch horse racing. Me and Kangli were easily the youngest ones there, with the arena filled with thousands of Ah Peks carrying newspapers and the Punter's guide. We didn't know how to bet but the Ah Peks were more than willing to teach us when we approached them. We learnt our lesson after the first race and luckily for me in the third race, my horse came from behind to finish strongly in third place. It was fun to soak in the atmosphere especially when the horses are about 300m away from the finishing mark, all the ah peks will start to stand and pump their fists in the air shouting their horse number and scream 'hia', 'hia' 'hia'. Some will clasp their ticket in both hands and mumble a prayer while most will swing their newspaper and yell. Every face has a story, you can see hopes and passion in their eyes. Yesterday was just a learning curve for me, no doubt I only won 4 dollars, I will be back again. For anyone interested to join me in future, here is a guide.

http://www.turfclub.com.sg/Totalisator/BettingGuide/TypeOfBets/tabid/126/Default.aspx



The winning ticket

No comments: